Sunday, May 2, 2010

Daily Weigh Ins?

Another series of The Biggest Loser has just finished here in Australia, and when they got the final few together for their last masterclass I was astounded by one of the pieces of information they gave. 

They said to... wait for it.... WEIGH. YOURSELF. EVERY. DAY... 

Did you say EVERY DAY, Bella?  Yes Girls, EVERY FREEKIN DAY!!!!

I was a bit (like totally) gobsmacked by this. 

Aren't we told on a regular basis to NOT weigh ourselves every day.  To go by the NSV's (non scale victories), the way our clothes fit, the measurements.. anything but the figure on the scales.

So what's up with that?

Was it a specific bit of advice for those who've reached their goal and need the daily reminder for maintenance purposes?  Coz I know that i'd ABSOLUTELY DO MY HEAD IN if I was weighing myself daily...

You wanna know how I know?   Coz i've so been there.... wanting to lose weight SO badly that I was weighing myself sometimes twice a day, hoping that all the effort I was putting in would show in the one thing that (I thought) mattered (the figures). 

So that hasn't worked for me, and i'm trying something else.  What about y'all?






That being said, I do like the idea of the masterclass for the Biggest Loser contestants.  Teaching them how to do the job outside the Biggest Loser house HAS to help them with their long term weight loss.

Click here to see an article from Linda's Bandwidth about one of their Biggest Loser winners who has gained all the weight back on.

I know that we've had a few follow up stories for Biggest Loser contestants here in Australia who have put the weight back on, and it makes me ... well, bloody cranky (if i'm honest)!!!   After having such an amazing opportunity to change your life for the better without ANY of the stessors of everyday life to interfere, how RUDE of them to go and put the weight back on...  I guess it shows that you can have the result and then still lose it if you are in the wrong headspace.  

Such a complex thing, the reason that we hold on to our weight, isn't it?  ... but that's a subject for another post...

1 Friends sharing the love xx:

#fatfreefloozy said...

Do you know what? I felt just like you, but I am starting to think that it is not the weighing every day that does your head in - it is what you DO with that. If you jump on the scales and think, "Puk that! I have put on 200g - I am giving up and eating anything in my pathway" then NOT GOOD. We have to learn to see a number, try to figure out how and why it changed and not let it effect us! Maybe only record it once a week though.